Friday, January 14, 2011

My Years As a Bra Burner

Yeah, No.
I actually never burned my bra or any other article of clothing.
I was a Feminist, however.  It was the times. you understand.  I am one of the first subscribers to
"MS. Magazine."  I wish I had kept the copies of that first year.  They were exquisitely representative of the changing times.
This Doonesbury comic was published in the early seventies.  I was attending Cal State at the time.  I was taking a class called "Women in Literature" from a guy with a superbly raised consciousness.  He was married to a woman who kept her maiden name!  Un. Be. Lieve. Able.

The comic was clipped and stayed on my fridge for years!

This little conversation in a sand box was, and still is, my favorite Doonesbury comic.
My son gave the 100 pound book to me for Christmas.  I found the sand box kids immediately.

2 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Methinks were he a TRUE feminist, he would have ceased teaching the class and turned it OVER to his maiden name wife.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I like it! I have never seen it before. Thank you for sharing.