Friday, July 29, 2011

Naturally Pink

 Did you know that they dye farm raised salmon pink?  Yuck.
 This salmon became pink all by itself--by eating shrimp.  No wonder they are so good!  They have been dining on shrimp cocktails!  This salmon fillet was caught off the Northern California shore
by my hubby and son.  It is about to become "lox."
First you sprinkle fresh dill on it.  Then you put it on a bed of Kosher Salt.
 Then you put another layer of Kosher Salt on top.  (They may have been a little heavy handed with the salt here.)  I don't know.  Never made this delicacy.
Then you wrap it up in layers and layers of plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. for a day or so.  Then you take it out and get the salt off and slice it thin and put it on bagels.  YUM! Even if you are a Gentile!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I love shrimp...I love pink.....I hate salmon. I didn't know that about them eating shrimp to get pink. I'm a sort of pink gentile - do you think there's a connection??? xoxo Nancy

Lori E said...

We love salmon but I don't like lox. I'll have my salmon grilled please.
Healthy, fresh, wild salmon. We only buy from the places where we know they are not farmed fish. Ugh.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I've never done anything like that but it looks like it's going to be delicious.

Anonymous said...

Lynn, I love reading your blog. It's refreshing and funny! And I keep telling my boys that cheese is not orange and butter is not yellow yellow. I introduced real butter from our local farms the other day to some company we had. They went nuts over the taste and our fresh eggs too.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Since I'm from Brooklyn, a bagel with lox and a shmear of cream cheese is a favorite weekend breakfast, Lynn! I never knew how to make lox ... it looks fairly easy ot do! YUM!