Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Altered Clothing

This is me. I got this dress at Ross for practically nothing. Love bargains. But the dress was a plain hankie dress. You know, thin white cotton with a little embroidery at the neck. I was going on a cruise through the Panama Canal and I needed a light dress, but you know how one must wear cruise clothes when on a cruise. (I have a carton of cruise clothes in case anyone needs to borrow them!)
OK, So. I cut some deep lace off of a nightie. That makes it vintage, right? I sewed it around the bottom of the plain dress, bringing it up to an inverted V in the front. Then I found a white fringed shawl in my closet, and sewed it on over the shoulders and down to a V in the front and a V in the back. By this time that plain little cotton dress was shimmering in the breeze. Next I sewed some not so vintage lacy flowers in various places and pearly beads all over the place. Now I was in business! This dress had a good time on that cruise!
In this picture I was headed off to an honest to goodness Tea Party! (Hence the hat.)

6 comments:

Alettesiriane said...

How fun to make and wear!

Beansieleigh said...

Oh, I LOVE posts like this! The word that comes to mind for your clever creativity, and a beautiful dress like this?.. Stunning!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh wow, your creative makeover of that dress is gorgeous! Now I am envious -- that you are so talented, AND that you have a lot of cruise clothes!

(Adorable little doggy, too!)
Cass

The French Bear said...

See, now that's a real creative use of scissors!!! Thanks for your comments on my grandson's haircut! I am so glad he didn't do his sister's!!!! So does this mean you are going on another cruise, after the tea party?? It turned out lovely!! I like your picture too, such a nice smile!! Have a happy weekend!
Margaret B

My Yard said...

Great make over. It's funto design your clothing.

My Yard Clothing

Luludou said...

Love the makeover, you have lots of imagination. congrats on the dress