Wednesday, August 5, 2009

ADHD or RLS

I would imagine that dying of Adult ADHD would be as embarrassing as dying of Restless Leg Syndrome, but if I'm not careful, it's going to happen to me.
One day I almost burned the house down twice. Twice! In one day!
One involved an iron and a patch on some jeans. (I thought I'd just leave the iron on the patch for just one second while I ran over to my computer because it chirped. I even said to myself, "Surely to god, you can go across the room without forgetting what you are doing, Lynn!"
The other event involved some burnt up hard (VERY hard) boiled eggs. Actually if one of the eggs hadn't exploded with a pop, I probably wouldn't be typing this. Neither of these occurrences featured the use of any adult beverages.
I'm just saying.
Today I went to my little situation room to get my hammer to hang a great new piece of art that my friend sent. My computer called me to it and I checked my email and then went to check the laundry. I took the clothes out of the dryer so I could put the sheets into it. I carried the load into the bedroom and folded a shirt. I decided that I was hungry so I left the laundry and went to the kitchen and got out the cottage cheese. Yes, I am, thank you.
I opened the lid. Went to the cabinet to get myself a plate, noticed that some trim on a bowl I have been working on didn’t look right so I put the plate down and began to manipulate the stuff on the bowl. A few minutes later I heard a plane in the distance and knowing it was about time for Rob to return from Half Moon Bay, where he went to get fresh crab, I went outside on the deck to look for him. After a minute or so of watching the sky, I looked down and saw the container, that I use to catch rainwater, for watering the plants. I scooped up a bit and headed for my plants.
The first one I came to had the bugs-that-make-the–white-cottony-looking-stuff-disease, so I headed for the bathroom to get alcohol and cotton to get them off. While heading for the plant with the alcohol and cotton, I saw the laundry on the bed, which reminded me that I didn’t put the sheets in the dryer yet, and one thing that can turn Richard into a little whiney-pest boy is to not have the bed ready when he wants to get into it, so I put the sheets in the dryer, leaving the alcohol and cotton beside the hammer in the laundry room. I went looking for my water and found the cottage cheese sitting on the counter.
I am not making a word of this up. It didn’t end there! I’m just getting tired of reliving it! I know someone has passed something similar around on the Internet, but to me? It wasn’t funny. This is my life. Everyday.
Now what was I doing?

15 comments:

Lori E said...

Oh dear. ADD you think. Well it isn't Alzheimers because you know what you are doing you just get distracted. I think it is blog brain myself.
Blog brain is a little known but quite widespread condition that affects bloggers everywhere in the world.
They are notably neglectful of the other things in their lives because their brains are completely wrapped up in thinking about their next post, meme, gadget, widget and comment.
There is no cure. Sorry....... Oh shoot I have to go the house is on fire.

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh, sweet pea, you make me look organized!! If I weren't always snug as a bug, living under my favorite rock, I would be creating havoc everywhere also.

The worst thing of all is my own reality. When I wake up in the morning, I have dry eye syndrome (caused by the big M) so I have to find my drops, then my glasses. Then my hearing aids (degenerative problem since forever), then I limp because I have arthritis in my right ankle from repetitive sprains. Once I can see, hear and walk, I hear everyone yelling to me for breakfast. Ain't life grand?? ;-)

xoxo
Jane

Gina Pera said...

heh he.

Crab's in season now? I might play hooky this week and head coastside.

Enjoyed your post!

Gina Pera, author
Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?

Housewife Savant said...

I love this.
I stop at the food. Nothing comes between us.

Please tell me you were singing in the photo. Please.

Lora said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing the story of my life!

I just had a major "so it's not just me? it's not just me!" moment

Joanne said...

Ohh that is so perfectly true. I drive my "younger" husband to distraction because I am all over the map and he is constantly trying to bring me back to where I started -- what was I saying?

Had to smile (a bit) about the egg. My mom will be 80 next month and last year while she was recovering from her chemo treatments she exploded two eggs. My brother and I have told her when the third one is forgotten its off to the home - strange she hasn't cooked eggs since then. She knows we were kidding but we tease each other unmercifully in our family.

Pam @ Frippery said...

You are a riot! This could be me! I snorted out loud. I posted about almost burning the house down this past spring. I do believe this ADD thing didn't start with me until menopause, which has been in the last year. Hmmm I started blogging a year ago too, perhaps a study should be done. Ummm, what was I just doing....

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Lynn! This is a riot, and it always does my heart good to know I'm not alone, loving with this condition!! LOVE you previous posts about the Deep South too! ~tina

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Happens to me too! Loved your telling of it!

Now, I need to get back to your southern posts, that I left for a few minutes, yesterday...or was it Tuesday, to do something. I just remembered, I wanted to come back over here to finish the posts!!! See what I mean??

Mitzi said...

Are you my twin? All this sounds just like a day in my life?

Mitzi said...

Are you my twin? All this sounds just like a day in my life?

Anonymous said...

Well at least you have crabs. You appear to be in fine form, so if your mind is gone you can fall back on your looks.

Xazmin said...

I am so with ya! I feel that way all the time...I can be frequently heard murmuring "idiot!" under my breath...at myself!

Amongst The Oaks said...

I think it's our waning estrogen. I do those kind of things all the time and it's so frustrating! Sometimes I even look around to see if anyone is watching me.
Someday this too will be funny. I hope.
~Laura

Nancy said...

Yes! Yes! and Yes! Amazing how we can remember perfectly all the things we didn't remember while being distracted, no?

I walk around repeating the last thing I left over and over so that I can get back to it. Still, I cannot find any one thing that is my passion and will keep my attention long enough to complete.